Sunday, October 17, 2010

Detroit Marathon Relay...

So I did it... I ran the first leg of our relay (Sole Feet Assassins) for the marathon.  My distance was a mere 10k. This was the most miserable run in quite some time.  The start was sooooo congested.  Running the relay, I am going to be running a lot faster than most of the full marathoners and half marathoners.  I was placed in coral G.  What that means is I'm near the back.  That sucked!!  Not only did I start near the back, but alot of the walkers were placed in front of me.  So the first half mile was at a jog.  I finally broke the pack and recovered my mile for a 7:09 first mile.  Second mile was fine until 1.75 mile when we came to a near standstill trying to enter the bridge.  It was only 2 or 3 abreast.  And I always tend to find a way to get behind the slow fat people that like to walk abruptly.  The bridge to Canada had construction (surprise surprise) and was down to 1 lane.  This was HORRIBLE.  We were at 10 minute per mile pace for a looooooong time.  That's almost walking for me!!  So a little after mile 4 we exit the bridge and run thru Ontario, Canada.  It opened up a little bit there.  I had to run clear on the other side of the street to be open!!  So my last 2 miles were 6:58 and 6:57 resp. So I tag my partner and she takes off.

I wait for DW to approach, because she was running the half and I was going to just run with her.  I was so mad because I felt pretty good today and felt that I could PR this 10k.  I run with her for about 4 miles and thru the tunnel back to USA.  But at the 10 mile point, I think "Its 5k left, let me see how I can run this after just doing 10 miles".  I take off, but I felt like I was moving but the body wasn't going as fast as I wanted.  So I turned my ipod to my "get hype" music and it was on!  I was literally running mad, for one, this was likely my last race and I wanted to end on a good note, and two I was just mad!! Half mile in, I check the Garmin... 6:15 pace, so I know I'm going to die if I keep this pace.  Plus it was pretty hilly and still congested, but better.  I decide to run on feel and not look at the Garmin again.

Since I was running the relay, I wasnt "REALLY" supposed to be running with the half marathoners after my leg.  They kept trying to guide me off the course, but I acted like I didnt hear them and kept going, trying to hide behind other runners.  LOL.  Oh, I didnt forget to take off my timing chip either... that would have been bad for our team. So I keep it consistant at 6:50, 7:05, 6:50 for last 3 miles and some change for the last 0.1 mile. I finish in 1:42:15 :=( for a half, but considering my situation I aint complaining.  It was a good workout.  I DEFINITELY could have run the full marathon today!!  I was THAT pumped, and truely believe I had a sub 3:20 marathon in me today.  It was sooooo weird... I cross the finish line at the exact same time as this lady named Tessa who I met in California for the CIM.  What were the chances of that!?!

So now I'm at the point of "What next"??  I dunno... I'll have to see what my body and mind says to me... maybe I'll pick up a new recreational sport like chess or something, lol.

3 comments:

  1. We do a relay in our local marathon here. My work fields the team, I always get stuck with the last leg! I do enjoy being out there with my fellow runners in those last miles. One of these days I will break down and run the local half marathon, but I look at the relay with my coworkers as my little way of giving back to the sport since many of "our runners" go on to keep running and we have one doing the full marathon this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...something tells me chess aint gonna cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran in the ING philly marathon last month and i can totally relate to the congestion and some of the walkers being in front of me and having to dodge them. Sounds like it was at least a fun experience overall... after all you did get to do something you enjoy with friends! :)

    ReplyDelete