Monday, October 11, 2010

Real Quick Running Update...

Its been quite some time since I put anything up about my running trials and tribulations and triumphs.  In 2009, after getting somewhat serious about getting into marathon shape, I accomplished so many great things according to my plan, except getting that BQ. That's a whole 'nuther story.  2010 has not been a year that I will soon want to remember.  I felt like, overall, it was similar to when I ran my first marathon in 2008... ho-hum and nothing special. Two good things came out of this year, I got a PR in my half on very minimal running (less than 20mpw) and I FINALLY tackled that 10k monster a month ago and got a soft PR... again on very minimal training. Ever since I started back at this running stuff, I have always compared myself to how I was back in the day.  In high school, I was an average runner, but I was a late bloomer. In college I was a beast in my own mind... ran a 4:48 mile, a 52 second 1/4 mile, 2:02 half mile, 4.6 second 40 meter. So now in my 30's, I'm trying to re-attain that status. Being older, heavier, and having responsibilities, I NOW realize that it wont happen.

Having a demanding job and a relatively young family has taken its toll on my running... but I am now ok with that.  I am at the point in my life where I am trying to reassess my priorities.  Running is an "out" that will always be there, seeing my son grow up into a young man and being a part of it will not. Being there for my family is only a 1-shot deal. So there I have it.  I have decided to DNS the rest of my marathons for 2010 (the thought of the money that I have spent for them is eating away at me). I dont think I'll be doing full marathons anymore and am cancelling my quest for 50 marathons in 50 states. On the fence on if I'll do any half marathons. I may still do an occasional charitable 5k run, but I dont care too much for them because they are all out running for 3.1 miles... that's rough.

I did sign up to help a friend on the Detroit Marathon Relay, because one of her friends bailed out at the last minute.  I'll be the first leg running 6.6 miles, I think. I wont sell her out. I also signed up for a 10k cross country run at the end of this month in Grand Rapids, dont know if I'll do that one yet either. No this aint some type of major depression or nothing, like I say, I'm reassessing my priorities and not being selfish about it.  So if you see me next year and look me up and down, dont ask "So, you are not running much anymore?" because I know I may have put on a few pounds, lol. The running train has come to a halt...

5 comments:

  1. Yessir...the life of a "real life" runner. It's tough to balance races and training with all of the things that being 30 sumpthin' throws at you. Me? I use the running to keep me sane. And my PB's are earned with the realization that I trained AND handled my bizness...as aposed to those cat who just train. How could you not post those solid times from your high school days? Put me back to when life demanded nuthin' from me other than I show up to school, look fly in my J's and talk to the ladies...sheeeeeed...I'd fly to.
    All I'm sayin' is...Don't hang up your racing flats just yet bredah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement... I know its crazy late, LOL. I'm just doing it recreationally now!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A runners life: You are not alone, do what you must it will always be with you. My running have always been around my family schedule. I miss those early morning runs that I can't seem to get up and do now. When I can get it done I do when I can't I look forward to the next one. Just take it one day at a time it is just the way it is. Life just have a way of happening, but over the years it was my running that kept it together and still is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont know how you do all this man, foreal. Running i wont do unless i have to lol

    Anyways this is a cool blog you are working on, ive been working on mine for a while to, feel free to check it out, along with that im developing a new site for us bloggers, kind of trying to drive the number of page visits up. feel free to add me as a friend or follow me on my blog :)

    I am now following yours and hope to hear from ya. Have a good one
    Here's my site:
    http://bnetwrk.weebly.com/

    and my blogger account :
    http://dl-daybyday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete