Ok, I had my pity-party... its over. Really what I needed was some well deserved rest. I have been putting waaaay more miles on this body than I was used to, and my body went into shock!! I am my worst critic, if I don't accomplish something, I'll beat myself until I do... or die trying. I'm impatient too... I want instant gratification. I see all these runners improving their times by leaps and bounds, and I'm slowly chuggin along here and there. But I decided to take 2 days off straight, no joggin, no nothing. I cant believe how well I felt coming back out there. I decided to do me a 12 miler... from the jump, I was feeling on top of the world. I was jogging with almost no effort at all and was at my BQ GMP (pace I need to qualify for Boston) for 9 miles. I could have gone on and on and on... but did a 3 mile cool down instead. This was a feat, because this pace was faster than I "raced" my 10 miler last year. The entire time I was focusing on breathing and form. That was a big confidence booster... now I'm back on high after hitting my low.
Good thing for confidence, but bad timing. 2 days later, I have a 4 mile race in the morning. My legs were kinda spent. I could just tell while I was warming up that it was not all there. But I was riding high!!! I debated whether to run all out, moderate hard, cruise or just incorporate it into a long run. I got slapped with another reality, why pay for a race if you are going to just cruise it?? So I decided to just run "moderate hard" at a good 7 minute pace flat. Getting to the start I was hyped and ready to go. I started at the front again... (i'm starting to like that now).
The gun goes off... Immediately there is a huge hill... DOWN!!! My gut instinct was to sprint it down to gain momentum, but have been warned NUMEROUS times about doing that because u will pay in the end. I tried to hold back. At the half mile mark my Garmin was saying 5:50/mile pace (here we go again!!). So I slowed it down. I had no idea the course profile... but I learned real quick. The next 2 miles was gradual uphill. Around mile 2.5, I SERIOUSLY wanted to walk, but I knew that would pass, plus there was a lil kid like 14yr old pacing me. So finally mile 3 hits and its back downhill from the previous miles of up... RELIEF!! I have this even "pace" thing down, now I'm trying to get this even "effort" thing down. That was my goal of this race, and I think I did it ok. I couldn't speed up on the downhill if I wanted to, I was too tired from going up for miles. But made sure nobody passed me in the last quarter mile.
For the last mile I was running aside this older lady who was pretty fast. She stopped with .25 mile to go and let a couple people pass. She got back on it, and finished. Guess what?? She ended up #2 Masters Female and the woman that passed her got #1 and got the $$$. I felt sorry 4 her, but she could have mustered the last .25!! My official time was 27:00 flat!!
My splits:
Mile 1 - 6:26
Mile 2 - 6:54
Mile 3 - 7:05
Mile 4 - 6:37
So today I do a leisure 13 miler... 1hr 52min. Thats a 8:35 pace. I would normally be disappointed in this, but I'm taking it day by day and getting out of the workout what is SUPPOSED to be the purpose. I know I will have my ups and downs, because running is a rollercoaster... and I run on!!
CrossFit Open 2016 Local Leaderboard
10 years ago
oooo, pretty harsh on us old laides, huh? LOL. What, she STOPPED? That's totally wild. I've never seen fast people stop. Well, maybe by tripping, but not just stopping. Wild.
ReplyDeleteNice race!
Wow! Great job on the race AND on your MP workout. Keep training hard and thinking positive! You can do it!
ReplyDelete