Friday, July 10, 2009

My Pity-Party After 1 Month...

Well, I'm about 1 month into my training using Daniels. I must say, this is going to be one of the most time consuming endeavors of my recent history aside from work. Things have not gone as well as I planned. Working 50+ hours a week takes its toll on you. Then coming home and immediately getting into gear and running. This leaves little if any, time for family and relaxation. But I guess this is the price to pay, eh? I have tried to stick to the plan faithfully, but this recent bout of sinusitis did a number on me. I REFUSED to take antibiotics and let it run its course, but after 1.5 weeks, I gave in and guess what?? I'm feeling better.

Daniels calls for 2.5 hour quality runs each week, and these 4-5x1200 intervals in 5 minutes. The rest is up to me. I missed a couple of long runs due to illness. I tried running, but 6 miles in, I had to call it a wrap! Now I'm back!! Funny thing is, my MLR on Wednesdays are not that bad, its the weekends that are tough. I did a 16 miler and a 13 miler on Wendsdays and felt good @ 2hr 20min and 1hr 50min resp.

Now, I know this is "summer running", but it seems like my runs are not getting easier, actually getting a little more tough, meaning harder to keep pace. This is not good. Maybe it was the sickness... I'll have to see. I need to drop 15 minutes to BQ and 10lbs to help with that. I am not second guessing the plan... but me, I'm a long strider and I dont have very fast turnover. I'm wondering if I should start doing some 400 and 200 repeats on my "off" days to increase my turnover. I know near the end, Daniels has some "fast" workouts, but I'm impatient... i.e. scared. I know I'm only 9 months withdrawn from my first marathon, but I know ppl that qualified for Boston on their first try. Or maybe it wasnt meant for me to qualify until i'm older and they lower the time requirements.

But anyways, went out for a 10 miler today... did 2.5 mile warmup. Decided to do a 3 mile tempo in between... wrong idea!! 1.5 miles into it, I was near my warmup pace again, LOL. I'm just not as strong as I used to. I'm not tired, its just my strength is not there and my legs so NO. Whoa is me!! Another daggar... on the 25th, I'm leaving for Las Vegas for 5 days for a medical conference. I know for a fact that I wont be getting in my running like I should, and Im going to be eating all the wrong foods. It has not been unseasonably warm either, actually its been 80's or below most of the summer. Cant be overtraining... I'm barely eclipsing 40 miles. So maybe it was meant for me to be just a recreational runner... better yet, a Weekend Warrior... and I run on!! (pity party over)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, you're in MARATHON training and you know what that does to your body and your legs. You feel tired! You're supposed to feel tired. If I were you, I would not jump ahead and add anything to the schedule. If you're following Daniels' plan, then follow the plan! Remember he plots it all out for a reason. You will get stronger over the course of the training cycle and I'm sure a few tune up races will prove that. But don't tweak the schedule other than switching workouts WITHIN the SAME WEEK (not months ahead). I think you know what I mean. If you can't do the MLR on Tuesday, then do it Wednesday and put something else from that week in Tuesday's place. Anyway, you'll be fine!!! Stop stressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch GB!!! Yes ma'am!!! LOL. Your point is well taken. I guess I'm nervous. My first marathon was just wake up and run... no plan. I want instant results now! But yes, I will trust his plan... he's the expert not me!! Thanks for the spanking!!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GB is right. Daniels works. Can't you do your runs in the early morning? I moved my LR's to mid-week early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just wanted to throw some positive thinking your way. +1 to what GB said above. Also, don't discount what the heat does to your paces and how fatigued you feel. Today was about 10 degrees cooler than it has been all summer, and I definitely felt WAY better on the 18 miler. Stick with it and don't get discouraged. You're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete