Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Got A Brand New Dance!!

Its called the Waddle!! Yes, that's right... that's how I just ran my 10k. This right foot of mine is giving me the flux. I REFUSE to give up!! I have been warned by many, and by some that have been sidelined by injury. It just kills me that "I" could be injured and have to take time off. I have always laughed at people that claimed to have been injured over little stuff. Well look at me now. The first 5k of the race I really tried to ignore it, I guess it was easy with the adrenaline and such. But when the 5k runners divided from us at their halfway point (1.6 miles into race) it really got kinda lonely, LOL. Once again, I chose a very hilly race... I guess that's why they call it Farmington HILLS. It was VERY hot, like over 80 degrees hot at 9am and very humid. During my warmup I didnt feel the greatest either... but do I ever? My stomach has been kind of bad the last couple of days also... all I had was a hamburger, pop (not soda) and popcorn all day yesterday, and cereal this morning. Slept half of the day yesterday. Dont feel sick or anything... just fatigued physically, but not from running.

Ok, enough of the excuses... back to the funky new dance. So I get to the 5k mark in 21 minutes 30 seconds. Not too shabby for me given the elements. But here comes the monster hill like a 45 degree hill and it turns too, lol. I just dont know how to run these hills!! Now my foot is really starting to bother me. A local H.S. XC team is helping with water aid stations and I try to look like I'm not struggling out there when I pass them, but they know. Mile 4, I just cant take it, and I do the unthinkable... I stop and take a walk break thru the water station. I re-adjust my feet in my shoe, stretch a little and try to pick it back up. At mile 5, I'm nauseous and I'm running awkward to keep from putting pressure on that sweet spot on my right foot. So I take another walk break up this dastardly hill!! Then this lady named Karen (Special K) from this running group I ran with 2 weeks ago called Running Fit passes me and encourages me on. Ok, so my pride kicks in...

I only have one mile to go... I can do 1 mile!! The only thing is, it was on a dirt road, and I had on "racers" and had to be very concious of the big rocks under my feet. So I waddle on for the last mile. So for the last 200 meters... you guessed it, its strait uphill. There was a group of 4 on my tail, I can hear them talking about sprinting it in. Now this is where I usually REFUSE to let ANYBODY pass me... but hills kill me!! So one of the guys took off and passed me. I followed suit and stayed on his shoulder until about 50 meters, then I put on the afterburners and left him in the dust. Funny thing is, for the last 200 meters, I had no issue with my foot, but when I was concious about it, there was issues. As I type, I feel a little pain.

So we get to the awards ceremony and I get 3rd place... wippee!! (sarcastic). I didnt deserve it, I stunk up the joint. There was literally no competition out there today. But the heat today made for a lot of slow times today. Back to the drawing board. I wont quit unless this foot totally breaks!! I didnt come this far and put in this many miles for it to end like this!!! Therefore, I run on...

1 comment:

  1. Be careful with the foot. Maybe a couple days off and some ice and ibuprofen is all you need...

    ReplyDelete