Saturday, January 17, 2009

Man... It is COLD Outside!!

Its been so cold recently. Sub-zero temps. I cant remember the last time it was this cold. I do remember -40 in 1994. I was in college at Michigan State, and was walking to class, my breath nearly froze with every inhale. Of course it didnt help that I walked to class and the campus is so big that classes are easily a half mile to mile apart. But this weather here now, feel close enough to it!! There is not enough layers in the world to run in this stuff!!! I have slacked BIG TIME so far this year. I gotta re-lose 10lbs this year, to be in somewhat decent running shape. I have a 5k on Superbowl Sunday. I am sooooo not ready for it. I haven't run "fast" in ages. I cant even remember my last 5k. I know I have a tendency to give up near the end like "I'm not getting paid for this". I'ma try and not do that this time. I have NO idea how I'm going to do. Maybe 21:30?? I signed up for a Spring marathon called the Martian in April. I'm hoping to place in top 3 of age group. I never seem to run well in spring tho (see Bayshore and Indy-Mini debacles). I wanted to re-run the Bayshore half, but it filled up so fast right before my eyes!! So I signed up for a 25k in May. This is actually the same race that Brian Sell won for the USATF Championship. I plan on getting 3rd here too... because they have a CLYDESDALE division. My goal is to break 2 hours, that should do it, but last year 3rd place was 2hr flat, and like 10th place was 2hr 1 min. Realistically at this time, i'm aiming for 1:57:00.

I recently did a 9.5 miler in the snow. Had my Yak Trax on. It was sooo crazy, the roads were actually paved by the time I had gotten out to run that afternoon, after having a pretty heavy snow. So I'm running 9.5 miles in Yak Trax on hard pavement. Just imagine how my legs and feet were feeling the next day. For those that dont know what they are, they are glorified chains that wrap around your shoes (like tire chains), to give traction on matted snow and trails.

I did absolutely NO running during this week. Its been kind of busy at work this week, and I've been getting out late and crashing at home. I really gotta get back into a groove. I'm back to my pre-marathon weight. Time to cut out the pop (not soda) and all the sweets. Limit my fast foods, but thats tough with my work schedule. I just cant wait til I can do my speedwork (my redundant theme). Yeah, a blah blog... bored thats all. Plus I have to keep myself updated on my progress, so 10 years from now I can say "What?? I actually was that slow"... LOL... and I run on...

----------------
Now playing: Amy Winehouse Feat. Jay Z ~ Rehab (Remix)
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

  1. I say pop and get made fun of for not saying soda by all my family in Detroit. Is there some kind of divide in Michigan where pop is actually used?

    Oh, and I didn't even notice those air vents on the Fastwitch's until your comment. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete