Monday, November 24, 2008

My P.T. Eval... back to the pavement I go...

I went to the P.T. I had some spasming muscles. They did some thing where they put constant pressure to the spasm to cut off the blood supply and make it un-spasm. Ok?? Well, it helped. Then I did a 9miler... pain returned. I think its a bursitis too in my hip. Took some anti inflammatories, and it eased up alot. Today, no pain. Went to P.T. for second eval, they state that I had some lumbo-sacral instability. So now they got me doing some core exercises!!!! I guess that is the problem... I aint did 1 piece of core exercise since high school. I KNOW i'm going to be sore tomorrow. So today I did another 9 miler, hip bothered me minimally. My calf is the major problem. It just wont get better... but i'm not going to baby it anymore. I am sure I have lost some conditioning... well alot!! This 9 miler took like 1hr and 10min. Albeit, it was slusshy and dark outside, and I'm dodging cars who pretend not to see me with my headlamp and reflective gear.

Its funny... during this 9 miler, I said "There is no way I'm running another marathon if it feels like this..." Granted, I just ran one, I hate pain!!!! I said this after just about every race I did this year, too. LOL. I read another blog, and it got me interested in some 50k's. Never heard of this distance. 50 miler, but not 50k. I know I need to really focus on speedwork, because I know I can run and keep my pace, just need a faster pace. After doing this marathon on 8 weeks of training, I'm sure I can do better. I want to at least get at a 7:30 marathon pace this year. Slow, I know, I just cant seem to get faster... 7:30 mile in HS would be the laughing stock of the track!! My fastest mile was 4:45 (actually 2nd year college), now my marathon avg is >3min / mile more!!!!!! Maybe its the 50lbs more weight I'm carrying (I was 145 during track in HS)... maybe its just being older... maybe I just sukk!!

I guess I'm just scared of what may happen like at my Indy Mini!! Took off at my goal pace and died near mile 8'ish. Plus this was my first race of the year, and I didnt train AT ALL. I know now that I was out of shape, but that race was the most painful ordeal ever (aside from my Crim 10mile Sauna). This year I did a lot of slow running and marathon pace running, next year my focus is on tempo's and intervals. None of that til then... its snowing AGAIN!! But, I'm pledging not to lose my fitness totally over this winter like last... so I run on...

2 comments:

  1. DWW, You're doing great to only be a year back into running. Mileage-wise, you're right about where I was for 2005, my first full year, when I finished with 1,078 miles. (514 in half of 2004.) In 2006, I ran 1805 miles. It takes time to build up strength to the point where you can train hard. But if you're patient, train smart, and cope with the inevitable aches and pains, it should all come together eventually.

    And speed-wise, you're way ahead of where I was after one year. :)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I broke down and got the runningdvds.com dvd that Gumbo recommended on MRT forum. Who can argue with over 100 exercises that specifically keep you strong for RUNNING?! Not me. I'll be doing those in addition to my usual core strengthening stuff.

    Can't wait to see all your improvements to come. They will!!!

    ReplyDelete