Thursday, September 11, 2008

LSD is some good stuff!!

So I just had my 10k race this past weekend. The weather has been soooo nice as of recent (not including my 10 mile race weather). I just KNEW I was going to PR this race. I was saying to myself the entire time... PR PR PR PR... But lo and behold... its a rainy day. Good thing I didnt register in advance! But what the heck, i'ma run it anyways in the rain. Actually, it was not raining as bad as I thought it was. But it was a little chilly, and i'm not complaining. The start had the typical people who start in the front, run side by side with their chat buddies, and come to a complete walk within half a mile. I had to give a couple of people a shoulder as I passed, and didnt apologize. After about 1 mile, the congestion cleared. I was taking it easy, didnt want a repeat of the 10 miler. I tried to stay around 7:15 pace for the race, but remember, I have a Garmin. There were mile markers with times on every one, which was REAL nice!! I didnt know how far back I was from the gun, so I guestimated my mile splits with the help of Garmin. I used the 305 for the first time, and it was pretty accurate for the mile markers.

After 2 miles, I felt like i was just cruising, but didnt want to fool myself. My 3rd mile felt the best!!! I was on top of the world, not tired, not huffin / puffin. But for some reason mile 4-5 always have something against me in all races. It hurt a little, but not much. I just kept saying, "keep your turnover fast". Actually, I felt like I could run faster, but I just knew I would die before the end. After mile 5, i started to tighten up, and couldnt stretch out. But i just kept my turnover rate, with choppy steps. I remember at mile 5.5 last year there were 2 hills that hurt... I was waiting for them. Either I conquered them with ease, or they slightly changed the course to omit them. But the next thing I know, I see the main street which meant about .7 miles left. This was my delima... should I pick it up now and hold on, or should I keep at this pace and dart it in for the last .2 or so. I chose the latter (still afraid of dying at the end). Came to the finish... 44:05 and a NEW PR!!!! By one minute. I couldn't be happier, except I KNOW I left some on the course. I was able to recover within a minute or so when they got my chip. No huffin / puffin. So I guess I'm now convinced about the LSD... its some good stuff!!

BTW... LSD is not a drug, its Long Slow Distance. I'm used to tempo runs. Now I am going to concentrate on speed. I got this full marathon the 3rd week of October. I have a Half Marathon 2 weeks before that. I dont know why I signed up for the Detroit Marathon as my first full... its gonna be tuff!!! But I feel good!!! Below are my Garmin splits:

Mile 1) 7:06
Mile 2) 7:06
Mile 3) 6:58
Mile 4) 7:02
Mile 5) 7:08
Mile 6) 7:13
Last 0.2) forgot to stop Garmin

No comments:

Post a Comment