Sunday, March 30, 2008

Its been a while!!

Well, the snow is FINALLY gone. There are still some traces. I'm still waiting for the 50 degree weather that has been promised by the overpaid weathermen for the past 2 weeks. Just for the heck of it, I pulled out the shorts today just to do some quick intervals. It was still cold outside, but it did manage to make it to 40 degrees today. It was hurting a little bit running since this is really only like the 3rd time I've done any fast paced running. I dont know why i keep doing the same route. I got this long uphill for the last half mile of my 2800 meter interval. But on the way back, i got this same hill down for the first half mile, so it "sorta" makes up for it. I did 12:56 for teh first 2800, then 12:28 for the second 2800. Thats 1.75 miles each way, LOL. Did a lite 1 mile recovery jog of 7:43. Thats it for today!!! I got a 10k this coming weekend, and need to focus on my speedwork and running form. My calves are killing me now, trying to focus on my forefoot running. I have noticed that the running is becoming more easy, maybe its because the weather is more conducive, or I'm not wearing so much clothing. I'm having a little trouble with my endurance over 6-7 miles. This is when I start to tank. I feel fine, but just can't seem to go on. I think I need a running partner, somebody that could push me and I push them, and to keep me focused. My tragic flaw is my lack of patience. I get bored REALLY easy.

I did not get to run my 5k last weekend due to fatherly duties! I really needed to run this race to assess my fitness compared to last year's end. This makes the second race I missed this season. I AM NOT missing my 10k. I'm kinda nervous, because my 5k was to be used to re-learn my pacing. I'm trying to rely on feel and not on my Garmin for my pacing. That thing can say i'm running 7 minute miles and find out i was running 7:15 miles at times, so I tend to fall into a comfort zone.

I dont know what it is... I just can not seem to do a long run without the urge to just take off sprinting!! I just get this inner anger about not being as fast as I should / want to be, then I just speed up and hang on for dear life... as if i'm running against somebody. Today was supposed to be an easy 5 miler... 8:30 pace. But 1/2 mile into it, I saw my Garmin saying 7:25 pace... so i was like "what the heck, let me make this into an interval run". So I picked up the pace a little and hit that half mile hill and finished under 13 minutes. Its amazing how my routine changes at the drop of a dime. I was ok with this time, usually when I do my 4.5 mile tempo, this route is encorporated in it, and I like to be at this point around 13:20-30.

I guess since all of this snow kept me in a dump, I have a new found confidence. Not to mention I bought me a new pair of trainers... the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7. Didnt go with the 8's, because I heard too many disappointing reports. This is my favorite shoe now. Even though it is heavier than my Saucony Tangent 3's, maybe its my imagination, but it feels as if its working WITH me during push-off. The Tangents are still a great shoe, but I'm saving the life for my speedwork. I still have my Brook T3 Racers... but i'm limiting them to up to 10k this year. I learned my lesson from running my half in them... they only weigh like 6oz and NO CUSHION!! My Brooks Beasts... well what can I say?? These boats are just too heavy. I ran in them yesterday, because my GTS's were a little wet, and I felt like I was running in quicksand. I think its the heavy orthotics in them that causes the problem. I'm thinking of buying another pair of the GTS 7's because they are now out of production, and I found them for next to nothing in my size.

I think i'm moving to another level of fitness, because I'm noticing that I'm sleeping a lot better and a lot more. Some people may say "you're overtraining". I think i'm doing just fine. But I am kinda scared because I have my half marathon in 4 weeks. I told myself after my first one that I was never going to do anything like this again. Well, here I am, and I have another just 3 weeks later. Still not convinced on the full marathon yet, its just too scary. I have too much pride to DNF. It is physically do-able, but I have to get over the mental. That's the problem with my training... i get mental fatigue. The next thing on my agenda is to lose some weight. I'm not fat, but I still wanna lose some excess weight. I'm at 195lbs and 6'1". I want to get down to 185. But no matter how much I diet and starve and run and drink gallons of water, I cant lose!!!! I been stuck here for a year now. Granted when I started running last year, I had ballooned up to 205 and got down to 195... but I been stuck there ever since. 1000 calories... 100 miles... 195lbs. 3000 calories... 20 miles... 195lbs. So what's the use of starving myself and depriving myself of the sweet luxuries of life?? LOL.

I think a lot of it has to do with my work situation. It is so stressful as of recent. I'm really considering moving on. We have incompetent employees, a deadbeat CEO, and a clueless Board of Governors... shall I go on?? I'm working like 12 hours every other day. If this is life, then I want outta here!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. DWW,

    I feel your pain as far as waiting for some decent running weather. Good luck in your 10K. -ESG

    ReplyDelete