
Well today is my second day of running to prepare for my half. I kinda cheated by running yesterday when I wasn't supposed to. I did 3 1-mile repeats. I was really just trying to assess my fitness at this time. Boy was I in for a shocker!! I did my first in 6:31... not to shabby for me. But, my second was at a dismal 7:06 after a 2 minute break. My third was a pedestrian 7:26, but I was interupted by speeding cars down the residential streets. It was pretty cold, plus I was running at 9:30pm. I finally got to use my yellow reflector jacket. It was like zero feet visibility due to fog. Felt good, tho.
I made up this plan to suit me. I'm trying to have realistic ambitions. Ultimately, I want to run the Detroit Free Press Marathon in October. This is the only marathon that spans 2 countries!! Since I'm on vacation, I decided to do a lil bit more than I was scheduled to do today. Was supposed to do 5 miles, decided to do 7. Running pretty easy... then around mile 3 was this monster hill!!!! I knew it was there, and dreaded it. Halfway up I was thinking "I aint ready to be running no marathons... I hate this... I aint gettin paid for this... I should stop... ppl looking at me must think i'm about to die... when will this ever end???" Finally, 1 mile later and 8:46 min later on this 5% grade hill, I got to level out. Dont know which one was worse, running up the hill, or finally getting to the top... wanting to stop!! But alas!!! Here comes the downslope!! That downslope went so fast, it wasnt even worth getting excited about. It was a steep down, lasting about a quarter mile, but a gradual up. So the rest was pretty flat. Came in feeling good. After about 30 minutes, I was back to thinking... "I can do this, i'm SUPERMAN". Now if I can only get back to the shape I was in while in High School...
Good luck in your quest for the marathon. I would suggest taking a longer break for your mile repeats. I would take no less then half the time of your effort. SO, 3:30 should be a minimum for recovery. Good job getting out and pounding one out in Feb. My butt has been on the treadmill.
ReplyDelete