Sunday, September 6, 2009

That Was NOT Fun!!

Ok, I'm recoverING from my 3rd longest race ever... my 30km race in Milford, MI. This was kind of a last minute decision, well actually last month decision. I'm starting to think that was a bad decision. Of all my races... hilly, hot, whatever... this was BY FAR the toughest course EVER!! The said it was tough on the registration, but I took it with a grain of salt. Never again!! My last race The CRIM (and its Bradley Hills) had NOTHING on this. My last half The Brooksie Way (and its 4 miles of continuous up) had NOTHING on this. The 25k Championships hosted in Grand Rapids (and all the up down up down) had NOTHING on this!!! Half of the race was on dirt roads. The entire course was rollers... even on the dirt!! Had to avoid soft spots in the road, potholes, and twisting of ankles on rocks. These hills were INSANE!! I'm talking 60 degree grade hills, 200 feet high minimum (i'm guessing), while trying to keep your footing in the dirt roads. No exaggeration!! If you ever want to slow me to a crawl, just throw in some hills.

The temp was great at the start. 65'ish degrees. No starting mat, and I was near the back of 500 runners. Felt a little thirsty at the start, as they had nowhere to get something to drink. So my plan was to grab a water at the first aid station. The first 1-2 miles were the typical bob and weaving. The first aid station actually had full sized cups, not those courtesy cup 4oz things that are half full. I grabbed 2 and downed it. Feeling good. About mile 3.5 was a hill straight from HELL!!! I was at a near standstill getting up that thing!! We run thru the downtown area and then the sun comes out and it gets hot realllll fast!! I would say close to 75-77 degrees by mile 5, and that's when the dirt roads began.

Running on those dirt roads was "interesting". I always felt that I was leaning to one side b/c the street was uneven, and my left hip was feeling it. I'm usually particular about the water stations, but I didnt care that they were on dirt roads, dust flying everywhere, bugs all over, leaves falling, volunteers fingers dipping... all into the cups!! When ur running and its near 80 degrees, you just dont care... I didnt, and I drank it! LOL.

I got to mile 10 in 1:16:xx. I thought that I was going a little too fast. I had a time goal, not all out racing. Hit the half marathon mark in 1:38:xx, so that was just where I wanted to be. Then, this is where I really wanted to quit. The next 4 miles were still on dirt and the rolling hills were more frequent. I really need to learn how to run up hills. I always get passed by masses going up, but I catch them going down. Mile 15-16 took the cake. There was a sharp right turn then another massive hill. I just couldn't take it... I had to take a walk break, my thighs were burning and the oxygen was sukked from me!! The only good thing was a water station at the top. Walked thru the station and drank 2 cups. Started back running... but got that familiar dizzy episode thing again. Just chugged thru!! Running in a pack is a saving grace, I must say!

By the last mile, it was sooo hot and no shade!! That was the longest mile ever!! I was just ready for it to be over. I get in at 2:25:37... right on target (well a lil slower), I wanted a 7:40-7:45 pace and got 7:49 pace. I was still a lil dizzy, so I took a seat on the firetruck and reflected on this suicide mission I just completed. I'm not a punk, but I'm NEVER running this one again!! It felt like I just ran a full marathon... and I had to go to a class reunion event the same night and pretend I wasn't hurting. It is currently a day later as I type, and I am still saying "That was NOT Fun!!" So, I think I'll just halve the distance 2 weeks from now and run a 15k race. Gotta check the profile, I hope its not dirt and hilly. if not, I WILL be racing this one in hopes of 7:15 pace or better. My 2 goal marathons (Grand Rapids, MI and California International Marathon) are supposed to be kinda flat! Attached is the suicide race profile and splits. So until my next race... I run on...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12717375

2 comments:

  1. LOL the 'finger dipping' cup volunteers! I think you need to run it again next year and see how much better you do! I didn't even know this race existed, but it sounds tough. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murderous race...log it as a 20 miler for sure. GR course will be a breeze after that!

    -T

    ReplyDelete