
So I had my hilly 30k... the report is in my previous blog. I must have done some real damage, because my runs have been tough since then. I am struggling to keep my pace. I guess I need more recovery time. Nope, this aint a "Im ready to quit" blog... I'm smarter now with this long distance stuff to know that this is temporary... rest rest rest!! Hit up the track yesterday and did some intervals after a 2 mile warmup... 1200 meters at 5minutes each with 2 minute rest. Only did 4 of them, because I knew I was going to run long the next day (today). Did a 2 mile cooldown. I felt like I was working. I loosened up on my 2nd interval... but it was still "weird".
So today I go on a long run with the Hanson's group. Was supposed to go 16 miles. I had every intention of going slow at 8:30 pace, but got caught up in the moment!! BRIAN SELL was out there clicking off low 5 minute miles... so that got my adrenaline running and I was out wayyy too fast for a easy run!! I was at 7:30/mile pace for the first 5 miles until I realized I was a minute per mile too fast... I started to feel it. So I left the group I was running with and slowed it down, then a guy caught me and chatted with me for the next 3 miles at a 7:45 -8:00 pace. So there goes my easy run... LOL. At 8 miles, I stopped for a drink(s) and just decided to do a 2 mile cooldown... I was done!! Now THIS was done at my goal 8:30/mile pace!! (I'm sooooo stupid).
I stop into the running shop to try on some shoes to run my marathon in... it was between the Brooks ST Racer and the Brooks Ravenna. I loved the fit of the Racer plus it had lots of stability... but the cushioning had me a little worried... even though its advertised for the marathon. The Ravenna had perfect cushioning and stability, but was a tad bit on the heavy side. I think I'm sold on the Ravenna, because I have the Saucony Fastwitch as a racer and have run up to 25k in them. Plus, I am not a little guy when it comes to marathons... I'm down to almost 185lb now, but thats still BIG for a marathoner.
So while I'm trying on the shoes, this little guy with a huge head and beard comes up to me and starts chatting with me. Its BRIAN SELL. We talked about his debacle at Boston this year, how he's going to run NYC this year as his retirement race. I told him "You know how many times we have heard that from you, yet u still run more marathons..." We talked about Clint Verran and how I ran against him in High School and got "schooled" in XC... and how Clint stood up in his wedding. He half jokingly said that Clint must have been on performance enhancers back then... being from hickville Lake Orion!! LOL. He just had hip surgery, so has been out of the circuit for a while. I could tell that he was Brian's buddy! He talked about the struggles as of recent after turning 30, and was like "I wonder how bad it will be at 40". I told him, "WHATEVER!!!! You'll be setting all kinds of 'masters' records at that age!" I told him that he still did respectable at the Olympics in Beijing... the weather was not the best and the nasty air u had to breath was horrid!! And being the 22nd fastest man on the planet at the marathon is not too shabby!! He really seemed like a cool katt. Not snobby like some people get when they achieve status. He even offered me 20% off my shoe purchase and 30% off anything else. WOW!!
I didnt try to get any free training advice... I'm sticking (sorta) to my plan I have mapped out. I'm REALLY starting to doubt my Boston Qualifying time. I have hit a low point in my training... I was gung-ho the first part, but have been barely running the past few weeks. This run I should have expected to not be great being less than 24hr ago I did speedwork. I was just testing that "residual fatigue" thing that the Hanson's promote... and boy did it make me wanna quit, not to mention I went out too fast. But quitting is not an option... I will NEVER quit!! So next wknd is a 15k run... I'm seriously thinking of "racing" it. I'm in the Clydesdale Division (aka Fatboy Division), LOL, so I have a chance to medal. Then its a 20 mile training run to hone in my fueling/hydration plan, then the Brooksie Way half marathon (super tough from last year), then its a 2 week taper for my tune-up marathon. I'm all set for my goal marathon at CIM in Sacramento!!! All I gotta do is show up! After that... BOSTON!!! (hopefully), but until then, I run on...
Very cool running into Brian! Are you doing the Kensington Challenge? You'll rock it! It is definitely fall race time.
ReplyDeleteYes ma'am... I'm doing the Kensington Challenge... R U going to be there?? I love the summer, but...
ReplyDeleteWow! So cool! At first, I thought your pic was a joke. I'm so jealous. I would've been DRILLING the poor guy for training advice. LOL.
ReplyDeleteWell????? How'd it go?
ReplyDeleteThat's on my list for next year. I train there all the time.
Great post. Keep going, I'm cheering for you. You are doing a great job, stick with it. Boston here you come!
ReplyDeleteBB: The race was good. It was all rollers, but not bad rollers like at Milford!!! I forgot my Garmin and took off way to fast. You gotta do it next year. 1:07:51... wish I couldve paced better!!
ReplyDelete