Friday, February 27, 2009

Ok, time to get serious...

I got this marathon in about 5 weeks. I have been slacking. So I went against all running rules and just up and did a 20 miler. Last week I had a total of 20 miles. This was 1 day after getting 4 inches of snow. The roads were a mess. So I ran anyways. I swear there is no respect for runners, but I dared the traffic to hit me. After about 10 miles out, I was like "What in the world am I doing... I'm 10 miles from home..." There was no calling for a ride back, my feet was soaked and frozen, got a blister on the bottom. I had to run like 7 miles down a highway called Telegraph Road, and with no sidewalks, that was "interesting". Surprised the cops didnt stop me. It took 3 hours to complete... I was beat!! I was going like 9 minute miles... I never ran that slow before. I was sore for 4 days.

I did a easy 6.5 miler 2 days ago. I felt that I was getting some of my strength back. That 20 did a number on me. Do I really feel like I'm going to be ready for this marathon?? It was at a leasure 51:00. So I get up today and when I dropped my son off at school it was actually WARM!! I read another runner's blog, and this person inspired me to get in some speedwork. So I raced back home to get in some intervals. Got my shorts on and compression shirt... get outside... the temp dropped like 10 degrees!!! So back indoors for my "winter gear" again. I did 5x1200 at about 6:55 pace each, which was about 5:15 each 1200 meters. I felt kinda "clunky" running it. My form sucks. I could run a mile faster than that back in high school. But it just felt like it was getting colder and colder and there was a 30mph wind in my face on the last 600's. I could have gone for more but it just got too cold. Plus I do have to go to work.

As I type this, I'm not sure if I'll do a recovery run after work, or just stick to my planned 10-12 miler tomorrow. Its "supposed" to get up to 40 degrees by afternoon which is GREAT this time of year and good running weather. I'll see, and I run on...

1 comment:

  1. Dag man, you're hardcore. I can't even fathom a 20 miler in those conditions these days.

    ReplyDelete