Sunday, July 6, 2008

Starting to turn around

Well, I said that I was going to mention what happened on my 10k the other day... well I'm too embarrased to even mention. Suffice it to say... it was a HOT day, and it was an out and back road race with not an ounce of shade!! The only shade was the water stations being a little "shady". LOL. I had a PR on this race, but for my slowest 10k EVER!!! This includes practice. Ran in over 49 minutes. I gave up after about 4 miles, it was just too hot!! No I didnt stop, but I just had nothing left. Maybe it had something to do with fueling... as I only had a bagel and that's it about 1.5 hours before the race.

I'm now at the point where I'm trying to assess my fitness. I ran a 3 mile XC race with the Hanson group last week. Didnt try anything spectacular. Cruised to a 21:24. Not blazing at all, but it wasn't meant to be. I did start off a little fast with a 6:25 first mile, but I coasted the rest of the way. It was VERY humid... I almost drowned from the humidity, and fighting off the mosquitoes was another issue. I swear, after the race, I took my shirt off and literally rang out about 16 ounces of sweat (disgusting I know). That high school girl running next to me actually beat me by a few seconds. That twurp behind me ate my dust.

So I THINK I'm going to do this full marathon thing now. I had many setbacks this year, but I think i'm getting back into the swing of things. Things are starting to turn around. I'm building up my confidence again. So, the 4th of July I run a 5k in Ann Arbor. I had NO intentions on placing in my age group. Those that know Ann Arbor know that EVERYBODY runs everyday all-day!! If you cant run a sub-6 minute per mile pace, then forget about placing. But low and behold, they had a clydesdale division. So I signed up in that group. This was not a speed test for me, it was a test to see if I could maintain pace. (Did I say that I'm starting to hate my Garmin???). I run the first mile, and my Garmin says 6:55. I'm like "great... perfect pace". I kept my same intensity for the rest of the race, and refused to look at the Garmin again. Around mile 2.5 I took a peek, and it said I was going 9:40 mile... I know for the life of me that was not accurate. There goes my trust in the Garmin. At that time, I think to myself... "a 5k is not supposed to feel comfortable". I was not huffing / puffing at all. Felt more like a moderate tempo run. I guess I was scared that I was going to die again!! So come the last 1/4 mile, I sprint it in. I passed like 4 people in that stretch. There was another clyde within stride of me the whole time. I was thinking "I know I started near the back... if I beat him, then that's one less threat". So now the race was on. I'm a strider, so for every three steps he took, I took two. He pushed me to the end, but I beat him. So, now I await the results. Official 1st mile 7:09 and finish time 22:08. That's a 7:08 per mile pace. PERFECT even split!! I accomplished that, but slower than I could have run. This was good enough to get me 3rd in the clyde division. I got a sleek looking lightweight Brooks running cap. One of those things that I wanted, but said I would never spend money on. So I'm happy overall. Now from here on out, its time to speed things up... I'm having a sub-20 goal for 2008 in the 5k.

I get home from the event... happy but disappointed that I left soooooo much on the track. So I decide to do a 4.5 mile tempo run, the heck with a recovery run!!! Did a 7:35 pace which is good considering the long hill and steep hill I have to endure, plus running in the street alone avoiding traffic. Sometimes I feel like Frogger on these roads. Once again, I did not feel tired, but had to go because we were going to visit friends for 4th dinner. Lastly, I attended a TRIATHALON training meeting... just to see what all of the hype is about. Hmmm... starting to sound interesting. I just cant fathom investing in a $2000 bike!! There is a local sprint tri coming up but I work late on the days that the practices for beginners are held. The event is on a Wednesday at 6pm... what kind of schedule is that??? Just curious... first I gotta get this full marathon under my belt... (pray for me)!!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, sweet that you ran with the Hanson group. Do you do that often? Keep doing that and I know you will get faster and faster! Good job on your clydesdale placement. Your pacing is good. Racing is so awesome. The more you do, the better you get, the more you win or place. You'll be getting all kinds of prizes soon. For the marathon, read as much information that you can. Prepare, prepare, prepare. You don't have to set records on your first one, just finish strong and confident so you'll want to come back to it. Keep up the good training!

    ReplyDelete