Saturday, June 7, 2008

Back From Hiatus!!

Well, its been a while since I took the time to sit down and write about my running accounts. I dont know if there is a bad omen out for me or what, but 2008 has not been a good year for me. My first race, which was my 10k went ok, it just felt worse than it should have. So far, I missed a 1 mile race due to fatherly duties, a 5k race with the Hanson's group, due to fatherly duties, and more recently the Race for the Cure 5k, due to fatherly duties!!! I am really looking for a 5k run so I can guage my race speed and effort. For some reason, it seems like it is getting more difficult to run... my practice times are much slower and my desire is falling... I cant seem to drop a pound for the life of me!! I have recently eclipsed the 100 mile month milestone. This may seem like nothing to the "seasoned" runner, or the Pfitz Program runners, or people in formal running groups, but it is major for me... I run 100% alone, 60+ hours of work... bla bla bla. This "distance running" thing is kinda new to me... i'm used to 5k's and 10k's. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would run 13.1 miles straight... EVER!!

So I do the Indy Mini. This actually was a HUGE race. Something like 35,000 racers. It is broken down into groups A - Z, with A being the fastest times on down. I was in the B group (or corral). So I was just behind the elites in corral A. What a way to start the year!! I dropped a major bomb!! This was supposed to be a "tune-up" type of race for me, not an "easy run pacer". I had the worst luck!! First, as most know, I had problems with getting my race packet (THANK YOU AGAIN, JOHN!!!). I didnt get in, until 1:30 am. I was ripping and running all day and did not eat the entire day until 10:00PM after dropping off kids in Lansing. Stopped by Pizza Hut and ate half of one of those pasta thingies. (bad mistake). Just getting over a sinus infection too.

Woke up for the race a couple hours later, and had to rush... didnt eat anything but a banana en route. Missed the pre-race photo... but still managed to find John and retrieve my packet!!!

My first 5 miles were just how I wanted them... 38:28. Then at mile 6, the cramps hit me...BAD. I could not regain composure. Slowed to a dismal 8:00/mile for the next couple miles. Hit the track... it was fun, but I thought it would NEVER END. It was like 3 miles on that track and I wanted the Super-Gu sooooo bad!! Finally, I see the cheerleaders, so i know i'm exiting, and almost slipped and bust my tail making that right turn out. By this time, I was done!! Gu couldnt help me. Hit 10 mile around a pedestrian 1:19:00'ish and pretty much gave up and just brought it in. Mile 11 was the worst feeling in the world. Sun came blazing, it got "mysteriously" hot all of a sudden, and I just wanted it to end.

The last mile was tretcherous. They need to keep the 3/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile signs down!!! That was the LONGEST 3/4 ever!! I thought it was 3/4 to end, it meant 3/4 to mile 13!! GOOD GRIEF!!! So I wipe the grimace off my face and returned to somewhat good form at the end, so I could have a decent finishing picture. Chip Time: 1:47:02. A 27 minute last 5k. Back to the drawing board. Bayshore 1/2 Mary in 3 weeks. Now I'm having doubts about running my first full in the fall... dont think I can do it, nor do i have the body design for it. We'll see...

MILE 12 ==>

2 comments:

  1. There is everything RIGHT about putting your fatherly duties first! I salute you for that. Remember, what goes around comes around and soon enough you'll have all the running time in the world and you'll miss your fatherly duties!

    Don't give up feeling good about doing a Full in the fall. Train as hard as you can, given your work schedule and family obligations, and then just get out there and put that training to work. Don't compare yourself to others when it comes to the marathon. You just have to run YOUR race.

    And your Indy Mini was great! You started in Corral B and that's awesome. If you had had more sleep i bet you woulda nailed the race. No worries, just apply what you learned next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement!! I've been stinkin up the joint recently. I was comparing my Indy Mini to my half last fall where I literally just jumped out of bed and ran and got a time to get into corall B. Now i run 5 minutes slower with more training!! I think i'm going to run with a group... did for the first time today and did 8x400... HARD!! I would have quit after 2x400, alone lol. Keep up the good work with your coach!!!!!

    ReplyDelete