Well, I'm one month from my final race of the year... the California International Marathon (CIM). I dont know, I'm losing motivation... when I wake up in the morning, its dark. When I get off from work, even if its 5:30pm, its dark. Its cold outside too... but that's not too much of a problem. I took a mini break after the marathon after I got out of my funk from a poor performance. I did an additional 40 miles the week of my marathon (after it of course) to punish myself. But, I felt that my runs were a little labored even 2 weeks out. So I eased off big time. Now my legs are fresh, did a tempo run of 6.5 miles with no problem... the last 2 were sub-7 minute pace.
Realistically, I think I can get to Boston, but with a family and a job from hell, it becoming less of a reality. I'm just limited to the time I can dedicate. Dont ask me why, but I get the guilty feeling when i'm out running for too long. But, this night running is "interesting". I have the reflective vest and I run with a headlamp (so I dont trip on a pothole or something). I run on the city streets, and there are no streetlights where I'm at except the highway. There are some really dark stretches with just brush. We are known for having stray animals lurcking... and I'm not talking cats and dogs. Every couple years a loose panther (yes that's right) is reported... I've been face to face with a family of deer... ran into a cougar (no, not an old lady)... a couple of foxes... I guess that's why they call it FARMington Hills.
Well, I'm getting all my ducks in a row for this marathon... I'm making sure EVERYTHING is perfect before I hit that plane:
- 5 Gu's
- compression shorts AND tights
- gloves
- 2 pair of socks
- running shorts
- compression short and long sleeve
- running shirt
- Garmin
- Ipod... and make sure its charged
- Running shoes
- Running cap
- Wristband to hide Gu
- Paceband
- Bodyglide... can NOT forget that
Ok, now things to remember leading up to and during the race:
- Hit up Olive Garden for the All-U-Can-Eat Pasta on Friday
- Force feed myself from Wednesday on up... (dont worry about getting fat)
- Make sure the idiots at work dont stress me so I lose sleep
- Do NOT run on Friday or Saturday, regardless of ANYTHING
- Wake up 3-4 hours before start and eat at least 800 calories
- Drink water like it aint no tomorrow
- Down a Gatorade 1 hour before race
- Find a nice bush 10 minutes before start to empty bladder, LOL
- Start off slower than goal marathon pace by like 20-30 seconds
- Attain GMP by mile 3 or 4
- Keep Pace Group for 3:15 in sight at ALL TIMES!!
- RELAX RELAX RELAX
- Body check every 3 miles
- Gu at mile 6, 11, 15, 18, 20, 22 regardless to how I feel
- Drink 2 cups at aid stations if possible (and dont spill on glove)
- Keep that head up, the ground aint going nowhere
- No "scissors" running form, bend at ankles not waist
- Land on midfoot, not heel or forefoot (like a marcher does)
- Relaxed breathing 2-2
- Cruise up hills, dont waste energy
Now I know I'm forgetting something... but this is just a start. This marathoning thing is just too complicated. Too much to think about. So you say "Well why do u do it". My kneejerk response is "Because I want to", but really its to prove to myself that I have the ability to do what I thought I could never do and for fitness' sake. I aint gettin no younger and its harder to keep weight off. If I do qualify for Boston, then MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Then I'll decide if I want to do an ultra, an Iron Man (in far future), or the coveted 50 marathons in 50 different states over a 10 year span. So much to think about, but until then, I run on...
CrossFit Open 2016 Local Leaderboard
10 years ago
You DID forget something... attend the L&O Forum post race FE.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'll be there running the full like a fool, and it'll be what it'll be. I'll probably go easy and wear a costume again. Not in any kind of PR shape now.
Let's plan to meet up for coffee at the expo! Are you bringing your family? My husband and youngest son will be there with me.
That sounds like a lot to remember. More like a golf swing.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you might have talked yourself out of the funk. Keep it going, only a few more weeks.
Yeah, a deer scared the crap out of me yesterday. It was like 5 feet away... waiting to run in front of some car.
I wonder if they will let you take gu on the plane? I usually buy mine at the expo.
@GB: How could I 4get the climax of the occasion?? I hope its not IMMEDIATELY after, because I think I'm going to need a nap!! LOL. C'mon, u can run this thing, you've got NOTHING to prove, you have all your accolades!!
ReplyDelete@BB: I was thinking the same thing about the Gu. But I've gotten on a plane with a boxcutter (unknown to me) and have gotten into County Court (yes the 1200 Building) with it too... homeland security is just a post-911 pacifier!! I just ran into a deer again today... dont know who was more scared!! LOL. Good luck in Philly!
Wowzers- love this post! I love your lists, especially the part about your coworkers. LOL. I hope none of them read your blog. I have a feeling you'll be juuuussssttt fine this time around! Good luck; can't wait to "hear" all about it.
ReplyDeleteOH no, Did you hear that Boston is sold out. But, you still MUST go get that BQ!
ReplyDeleteHey DWW! I haven't said hi in some time, so this is it! How is the Princess? Are you two doing the Indy Mini this year? Good luck at CIM!
ReplyDeleteSmilin' Tobes
@BB... I just heard Boston sold out!! My motivation is rock bottom now. I havent run in a week. Just gettin over a flu... SUXX!!
ReplyDelete@Tobes... Hey!!! Good to hear from u again... we wont be there, wifey has girl in oven... it was the same scenario last year, but lost it. I'll be rooting for u (and checking ur times, LOL). Thanks for the well wishes!!