So in one of my previous blogs I talked about my brief "interview" with Brian Sell... He talked about how he felt "old" and that NYC was going to be his last marathon... he wanted to go to dental school... bla bla bla!! My response to him was "Yeah, we heard it all before...". Well I guess it is official, he is calling it a career after he runs NYC.
I never knew this guy... I was always a Ryan Hall follower, because he was the best American marathoner as of recent, and a Dathan Ritz follower because he was a local HS sensation with untapped natural talent. In an interview some years ago, I read Brian being asked something to the extent of "What do you say about people commenting on your 5k performance..." and he replied "If I cared what a 18 minute 5k'er thought, I would ask my wife!" I was like u cocky (fill in the blank). Well, I know now he was just kidding. Having talked to him personally for an extended period of time, I know he is a very humble person and hardworking. To make the Olympic Team without all the glitz and glamor and equipment as the Oregon and Boulder boys, says volumes on his work ethic!!
Being that he could not break 10 minutes in the 2 miler in HS and being an Olympian in the marathon is quite an accomplishment. Heck, I ran 11 minute 2 milers... just behind him (sorta). He has always been the "bullnose" type of runner... the bluecollar type. Not the "finess" type, and it worked for him. An extensive recent interview link is below... no its not me interviewing him...
BRIAN SELL INTERVIEW
Oh yeah, we both ran the Brooksie Half this past Sunday... he beat me by a hair!!! A longggg strand of hair. So I got my work cut out... and I run on...
CrossFit Open 2016 Local Leaderboard
10 years ago
very cool that you met Brian Sell, sorry to hear that he is retiring. I first heard of him when he had that great Boston Marathon finish a few years ago. Thanks for sharing this post.
ReplyDeleteThat is SOOOO cool that you met Brian Sell and you got to talk about racing. Well, at least your blog is funnier than his! LOL
ReplyDeleteHey - what are you wearing for the full tomorrow? I am going to cheer - I will see if I see anyone and yell GO DWW GO that looks like your pic.
ReplyDelete